Monday, April 10, 2017

Primrose (perennial/annual)

My education in gardening continues. I’m always surprised at the information I find. There’s a fine line between purchasing plants, throwing them in the ground and hoping for a beautiful flower garden, and actually learning to take good care of them.

I'm doing more exploring on the ins and outs of spring flowers purchased at the end of the winter season. These are force-bloomed to bring a spot of color during the dreary season. Some people use them for a one-time blossoming while others hold onto them to plant outside when weather permits. Most of mine are past their indoor-winter bloom time. There's still another month or so before it’ll be safe to do outdoor gardening. So how do I keep my new babies safe until then?

I purchased one small primrose plant on Feb. 10. I know these plants have been around for a long time but, for some reason, I’ve never had any. This is a cute little plant with a spherical umbel (a blossom that grows on a short flower stalk). The flowers can be in a variety of colors and most have a bright yellow center. It’s one of the first flowers to bloom after winter and many varieties can grow in containers. They grow best in zones 5-9 and prefer cooler temperatures. The flowers and leaves are edible, tasting like a bitter lettuce. The leaves can also be used for tea.

The few blossoms remaining when I made my purchase soon faded. I cut the stem back as directed. Soon, however, the leaves died off and I cut it back to about an inch above the crown. A friend told me this is normal and it will come back next year. I hope so as I feel bad when plants die on me. It’s hard to trust this process of winter dormancy – when to stop watering and put the plant in a dark place for six to eight weeks or so.

When safe planting time arrives, primrose can be moved outdoors. (They can also be transplanted while in bloom). Primrose like to be in a cool, partly shady area in the garden or on a balcony with light morning sun (avoid afternoon sun). Place them 4-6 inches deep with the crown even with the soil. The soil should be well-draining and slightly acidic. Position multiple plants six inches apart.

Keep the soil moist but don’t over water. Prune dead leaves and blossoms; fertilize once a month while blooming – do not fertilize during winter dormancy. If needed propagate after blooming (late spring) by division.

A little extra care is needed to grow primrose indoors. Daytime temperatures must remain below 80 degrees with filtered sun and moist soil. Nighttime temps should be 50-60 degrees. It’s also a good idea to place the pot on a pebble tray because in the winter with the furnace running, the air will dry out quickly and affect the health of indoor plants. 

However, after they finish blooming in the house, it’s best to plant them outside for the summer. They can stay in their pots and come back in the house in the fall.








No comments:

Post a Comment